St. Louise Regional Hospital was the first hospital in the Bay Area to achieve Joint Commission certification as Primary Stroke Center using a telemedicine program, giving us a depth expertise to ensure you get the best treatment possible.
Telemedicine uses high-definition cameras and videoconferencing technology to connect patients with offsite stroke specialists. When you come to the St. Louise emergency department with stroke symptoms, you will see a neurologist through videoconference immediately so emergency room physicians can provide quick, effective treatment.
Advantages of receiving stroke treatment at St. Louise include:
- Faster treatment: The teleneurology program at St. Louise offers a faster response than waiting to see an on-site or on-call neurologist at another hospital. Our program provides 24-hour coverage for the emergency department and hospitalized patients.
- Award-winning stroke care: Our teleneurology program received the Gold Plus award from the American Stroke Association. The Joint Commission has also certified our teleneurology program. These awards recognize our commitment to rapid, effective care and improved patient outcomes.
- Highly skilled team: Our teleneurology program provides 24/7 access to board-certified neurologists who specialize in acute stroke. St. Louise’s experienced team of physicians work closely with these experts to provide rapid stroke treatment.
What Is a Stroke?
A stroke occurs when blood vessels in the brain clog (ischemic stroke) or burst (hemorrhagic stroke). During a stroke, time is crucial because every minute increases your chance of permanent brain damage.
Call 911 immediately if you experience any of these warning signs of a stroke:
- Weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg
- Uneven smile
- Sudden confusion
- Slurred speech or trouble understanding
- Difficulty seeing in one or both eyes
- Problems walking, dizziness or loss of coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
For more information about our teleneurology program, call the St. Louise stroke coordinator at (408) 848-8607.
Did You Know
Teleneurology uses high-definition cameras and a secure telemedicine platform to provide 24/7 access to board-certified stroke specialists. Seeing a stroke specialist through our teleneurology program is faster than having to see a neurologist onsite or on-call.